Monday, September 15, 2003

Weather: Hot
Mood: Fine

[Rewriting Sunday 14th September, 2003]
A week finally passed again and there were no need for lessons! Yeah! It is just so tiring, with the long timetable everyday and even having lessons on Saturday. It was so exciting to FINALLY take a break from the house and the school grounds (not the I don't like it, not even close).
Went with a whole bunch of other people to Bluewater, this very very huge shopping mall in Kent. Arrived there at about 11am and stayed till 3:30pm. Compared to our little town of Sevenoaks, this was a big change. All famous designer brands could be found there, and it really was huge. Anyway, my first stop was Waterstones (for people who are not familiar with UK, Waterstones is this huge bookstore). And my first shopping item were 2 books. £16 for 2 books were not really expensive, books were the only things I could bring myself to buy here.
Celina and I stuck to each other all the way. At first, we tried looking through the clothes shops, but then finally drew 2 conclusions:
1) The style of most of them are weird. They were either too short, or too funky, or just plain weird. If there was going to be one thing that won't be changed inside me, it will be the taste of clothes.
2) They were expensive. I mean, compared to HK (something I still am doing), that piece of clothing here wouldn't cost half in HK as it is here. Even if we saw some clothes that finally looked more normal, they costed a fortune. A pair of trousers, ordinary ones, are about £48 (convert back to $HKD, which will be x12.5). I couldn't bring myself into buying clothes of such quality and such prices too.
Actually, one thing I did was to run into accessories shops. I did buy a ring that looked quite nice to me, and only for £2. But apart from that, any clothes, shoes, anything... were not appropriate in my point of view. It's really a question why people here love to show their bellies out. It wasn't as if they were slim, I've seen way too many fat people showing them out.
had lunch in the foodcourt, chicken burger and chips. The fat kind, with a lot of potato inside. Mmmm ... love those...I was clever enough to go into McDonalds for ketchup, cause I couldn't find any in that shop (don't worry, McDonalds was in that food court too, I didn't walk like 2 miles to get ketchup). Continued walking the clothes shops, but ended up empty-handed cause there simply wasn't an incentive for me to pay that price for the quality of clothes they provide.
Up in the coach, I could see so many people buying all sorts of clothes. And I was holding a bag of 2 thick books and when everyone asked me what I bought, they looked at me as if I was crazy when I gave the answer.
Very educational indeed, so was Celina, she only bought a pencil case for her brother. Felt very proud of myself indeed(which actually, there was really nothing too much to be proud of. Oh well....!).
Came back feeling very very tired, and went online to see if anyone was there.
Well, there were!
Ended up talking on the phone, long-distance call too, with *HIM* for nearly an hour (55 minutes or so, to be exact). Haven't talked on the phone for soooo long. And long-distance too. *sigh*
Didn't feel like going to the Dining Hall AGAIN for dinner, so stayed inside GIH and made myself macaroni and cheese! Obviously the food in the dining hall wasn't that good (as is on every meal) because Yi May and Franziska came back after dinner and cooked pasta again. ... We even had a bag of microwave popcorn, which just shows how we crave for good food.
I was in a mood to play piano with the scores I successfully printed out. Decided in the spur of a moment to rush to Aisher Hall in the dark to play the piano, but Celina suddenly had Chem. prep to do and so we set out with only half and hour left to our curfew. Rushed there and found that we couldn't open the door (which, afterwards, we figured out, might be because we pushed instead of pulled). Rushed back to the house again in the cold and had a shower.
Oh... the shower.
The water pressure was so low that not much water ran from the shower-head. It was alright at first because it was still possible to wash. But eventually, just as I was getting a lot of soap on my hair, the water suddenly disappeared.
I was just standing in the showers thinking, 'what the heck?'. It couldn't happen to me, this was so embarrassing.
Luckily, I realized that a small stream of water still shot from the junction of the taps, so I had to stoop down and try to rinse the soap bubbles off my hair. It was so scary... thinking back, I was actually lucky to get out of there soap-free.
Turned on the computer to finish off the rest of my English essay, which now I only have 1/4 left! Yeah!
Carried on till about 12 and then started to continue with the book I bought. It was so good that I couldn't take my eyes off it and stayed up till 00:45am in my bed reading. I think that must have been the latest I've slept here so far.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home